• How can I apply?

Due to COVID 19 restrictions, many Energy Assistance offices are closed to walk-in customers to ensure your safety and the safety of our staff. If you need to apply for Energy Assistance, you do not need to submit your application in person, there are other ways to submit your application safely.


  • You can apply online by visiting: https://mydhrbenefits.dhr.state.md.us

  • Remember to upload all of your documents along with your application.

  • Submitting your documents separately from your online application will delay your application


Drop Boxes

  • Many Energy Assistance offices, particularly in Baltimore City, Montgomery County, and Prince George’s County where the virus has hit the hardest, have secure drop boxes available to receive your application and documents.

  1. First, download and print the Application for Energy AssistanceYou can also request a paper application by calling 1-800-332-6347.

  2. Next, complete your application and gather your documents. You can find a list of documents that you should include in your application by here: Instructions Form

  3. Once you have your completed application and documents, take them to your local office’s drop box and submit them.


Baltimore City residents should drop applications at the nearest CAP Center. For a list of locations, click here: https://www.bmorechildren.com/cap/#location


Mail-in Applications

To apply by mail, you can request an application be mailed to you, or print a copy of the application and mail it, along with all of your documents to your local Energy Assistance office. To see a full list of locations please visit:



Energy Assistance offices can accept applications over the phone. However, you will need to email or mail your documents to the local office after your information has been taken. Energy assistance does not need documents to be scanned, we can accept clear pictures of your documents where text is visible.


Since many of our offices also process applications for other social services programs (Food Stamps, TCA, etc), it may take a while to get an in-person appointment. However, due to local COVID-19 restrictions, some offices are not offering appointments. Call your local office to see if they are scheduling appointments.